In 1885, at the same time as the memorial was being rebuilt, Reverend Medd had a stained-glass window installed in the north transept of St Aidan’s Church, further commemorating the life of Grace Darling. The three windows feature female figures, representing the virtues ‘Charity’, ‘Fortitude’ and ‘Hope’. ‘Charity’ holds a heart; ‘Fortitude’ holds an oar; ‘Hope’ holds an anchor, appropriate symbols of Grace and her deed. The windows also record the dates of Grace’s birth and death, and the date of the wreck of the Forfarshire.
The original weathered effigy of Grace was moved inside the church to protect it, and there it remains, opposite the south entrance door.
The impressive north transept stained
glass window of St Aidan’s Church